Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!


"Yes, I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please. But I'm also in charge of the brown Bar-ba-loots, who played in the shade in their Bar-ba-loot suits and happily lived eating truffula fruits. Now, thanks to your hacking my trees to the ground, there's not enough truffula fruit to go 'round!"

Today is the fortieth anniversary of Earth Day! (Check out www.earthday.org for tips on going green, and of course visit www.shoporganicallygrown.com for environmentally friendly fashion!)

I was inspired by my roommate to write about one of my favorite picture books, The Lorax by Dr. Seuss. I know I have already written a blog post about this book, but I think its message is one that bears repeating. Without being didactic in getting his message across, Dr. Seuss spreads the message of conservation.

Another book that spreads a similar message is Aani and the Tree Huggers, written by my mom Jeannine Atkins. When this book first came out, I was in about first grade, and this book made it "cool" to want to save trees.

Any other books that spread the message of saving the environment?

Have a great & green Earth Day, everyone!



2 comments:

Colleen said...

I think it's very important to make saving trees "cool" It's wonderful to see all of the new children's book characters continuing the tradition of making "going green" cool!!

Jeannine Atkins said...

Thank you for the Aani and the Tree Huggers shout out!

Since Wangari Maathai won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2004 for starting the Green Belt Movement in Kenya, there have been several great picture books about her struggles and successes rousing others to plant trees.