Wednesday, April 7, 2010

"I just finished the most wonderful story..."














While my mom was in town last week, the two of us went to see an amazing documentary called Waking Sleeping Beauty, which tells the story of the renaissance of Disney animation between 1984-94, including their masterpieces The Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King. Using old footage, interviews, and caricatures drawn by the animators, the movie was moving, funny, and memorable. We would both definitely recommend it to any Disney fan.

As we drove home that night, we of course put on my playlist of Disney tunes to sing along to the songs we've heard a million times.

Listening to some of the songs from Beauty & the Beast reminded me of what a great role model Belle is. She is a princess who truly loves and values books. The people in her town think she is bizarre for having "her nose stuck in a book," but Belle literally sings the praises of the book she is reading: "Oh! Isn't this amazing? It's my favorite part because you'll see. Here's where she meets prince charming. But she won't discover that it's him till chapter three." Even when she is living at the Beast's enchanted castle, her favorite room is not the ballroom or dining room...It's the library.

I might be biased as a diehard Disney fan, but I think Belle is a great role model for young girls, as she shows how reading can truly be magical.

4 comments:

Colleen said...

This is so true, out of all the Disney Princesses Belle really is a true role model, not like some of the other princesses where things "magically" work out for them, Belle's beliefs in true love, happiness, and magic came from the wonderful books she read over and over! And thats why I love her!

Anonymous said...

Em, as someone who listened to many of those tunes with you many times, I feel compelled to point out that you are missing a key word in the lyric -- "part" -- as follows:

"It's my favorite part because --- you'll see
Here's where she meets Prince Charming
But she won't discover that it's him 'til chapter three!"

Aside from that, I generally concur with your comments about Belle. I also think she is perhaps the most courageous of all the Disney heroines/princesses. -- Dad

Jeannine Atkins said...

I can remember being stunned when I first saw Belle. Really, Walt Disney, your heroine is in a bookstore? Yes!

In my professor role, I'd mention that the most common version of the story was written by Madame de Beaumont, who mentions almost in passing that Beauty read while her sisters (obviously cut from Disney) went to balls or the park. I love how Disney developed that line to round out her character.

Unknown said...

Belle was a favorite at our house, right Jen Bug? We need more movie characters who are book lovers as well as heroes and heroines.